Wanted: Monitoring, evaluation and learning consultancy
The Least Developed Countries Initiative for Effective Adaptation and Resilience (LIFE-AR) is recruiting a consultancy firm to undertake monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) tasks.
The role would suit an institution with extensive experience and expertise in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) frameworks, systems and tools specifically tailored to climate adaptation and resilience projects, particularly in the context of the least developed countries (LDCs).
The Least Developed Countries Initiative for Effective Adaptation and Resilience (LIFE-AR) is an LDC-led and driven initiative, which serves as one of the primary vehicles for delivering the LDC 2050 Vision for a climate-resilient future.
The LDC Vision (PDF) is for LDCs to be on climate-resilient development pathways by 2030 and deliver net-zero by 2050. The LDC vision includes commitments of what LDCs are willing to do to achieve the vision, their ‘offer’, as well as an ‘ask’ to the international community on how they can support LDCs effectively.
The LIFE-AR platform will initially work closely with a group of six ‘frontrunner countries’ who are ready to commit to the changes required to deliver the vision. The frontrunner countries will develop, strengthen and operationalise their own long-term climate resilient and low emission strategies and build on the core development interventions in-country.
LIFE-AR is an ambitious programme designed to address the challenges faced by LDCs in adapting to climate change and building resilience. LDCs, characterised by their vulnerability to climate change and limited capacity to respond, require robust M&E systems to continuously track and evaluate the outcomes of climate change adaptation and resilience projects.
IIED on behalf of LIFE-AR, as the (interim) secretariat, is seeking a MEL firm/institution located in the LDCs to support LIFE-AR frontrunner countries on the following:
- Support the frontrunner countries to set up robust in-country MEL systems aligned to the chosen delivery mechanism
- Support capabilities of frontrunner countries to deliver on MEL at the national and subnational level
- Support frontrunner countries to develop data collection and knowledge management based on agreed systems and tools, and
- Support biannual and annual narrative reporting aligned to the LIFE-AR platform reporting to inform aggregate reporting to the LDC platform, the board and wider LIFE-AR compact signatories.
The consultants will assist in developing robust MEL systems, oversee their implementation and report on progress for effective monitoring, evaluation of interventions, and enhancement of accountability and learning.
The MEL systems will play a critical role in supporting evidence-based decision-making and improving the effectiveness and efficiency of LIFE-AR efforts.
How to apply
To apply for this work, please submit the following documents:
- A document outlining your track record of providing MEL support within the international development space
- Key personnel who would be working on this contract
- A financial case for providing this support, and
- A clear implementation plan, with an outline of the approach to be taken during the six-month probationary period.