Trustee vacancy (based in China)
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is an independent action research organisation that works to promote global social and environmental justice. IIED has an international board with representation of relevant experience and skills from all the major regions where we work or have important partnerships.
We are looking for a Chinese national based in country who has extensive experience of working in the field of international environment and development. The ideal candidate is someone with wide ranging strategic experience at board level who has ideally fulfilled a trustee role in a not-for-profit organisation.
The trustee will have a very good understanding of IIED's business, will be able to clearly articulate our mission and values, and demonstrate what and how they can contribute towards steering the organisation through the challenges ahead.
- Chinese national based in country with extensive experience of working in the field of international environment and development and with knowledge and experience of one or more of the sectors in which IIED works
- Ability to display a clear understanding and interest in the mission, values and substance of IIED's work
- Extensive experience in strategy and management at board level
- Experience of the context within which international NGOs and think tanks operate, including especially those funded by combinations of government agencies, international institutions, private trusts and foundations, and private sector businesses
- Ability to dedicate sufficient time to the role, a minimum of six days per year, including attending a two-day meeting in London twice a year in June and November (premium economy air fare, accommodation and a small per diem is provided)
- Ability to develop positive relationships with management and board members, and
- Ability to work as part of a team taking account of the diversity and different cultures of board members.
The board is keen for the board as a whole to reflect the diversity of IIED's partners, networks and audiences.
Please download the trustee application pack (Word) for more information.
Applicants: The deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday, 24 March 2017 (GMT).
Applications should be in the form of a covering letter, with the applicant setting out how they fulfil the person specification for the role, and should be accompanied by a CV. The letter should be addressed to the nominations sub-committee, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations: People wishing to nominate other individuals are invited to submit a covering letter to email@example.com in support of their nominee by 5pm on Friday, 24 March 2017 (GMT). The nominations sub-committee will decide whether to approach the nominee and invite them to apply.
Selection process: Interviews will take place during April and election will take place at the June board meeting.